Saturday 25 April 2009

Masala Omelette - A Perfect Hangover Cure

I woke up feeling pretty grotty this morning. Yes, yes, I have no one to blame but myself. However, when bars force you to spend over a tenner so that you can put it on your card, one is sometimes forced to buy those shots that were never part of the original plan. I need to learn to carry cash instead.

I opened the abysmally bare fridge to find only the lonely dregs of a bag of coriander and two eggs. It took a cup of tea and a little sit down before I remembered the Masala Omelette. When my family and I went to India for two weeks to celebrate Pops' birthday, at breakfast time a special omelette chef was on hand to cook these beauties up. I think I had one every day, they were so delicious.

I had a quick google around and found Nigella's recipe, which is what I based mine on. I think she uses way too much of the spices - 1 tsp each of coriander and cumin would be mightily overwhelming. This was delicious; delicately spiced, a little bit of heat from the chilli, and best of all, it cured me.

Masala Omelette

Serves 1

2 eggs, beaten in a bowl with a little salt

1 spring onion, sliced on the diagonal

1 clove of garlic, sliced finely

1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced (green is more authentic - red is all I had)

1/5 of a tsp of tumeric

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp garam masala

A few sprigs of fresh coriander

Heat up a little oil in a non stick pan. Fry the garlic, chillis an spring onion until softened, then add all the spices. Add the beaten egg and quickly mix it a little so that all the spices are evenly distributed. If you're good at making omelettes, then fold it over. Or, if you're a bit crap like me, finish it off under the grill until it's just set.

To serve, sprinkle it with fresh coriander and serve on it's own or with a chapati. I made my own chapati, the recipe for which is here.

11 comments:

Kavey said...

I think you're right, a teaspoon each of coriander and cumin powder sounds a little heavy-handed! Sounds like a lovely breaky or lunch!

Su-Lin said...

I have to admit that I'm quite generous with my spices too! And if I don't have any fresh chilies in the flat, I toss in a bit of chili powder. Yum yum yum!

Boo said...

Eggs, always good for a hangover! Easing off on the spices was probably the smart thing to do when feeling a bit delicate.

Ollie said...

Ooh lovely. Essential to have a few standby dishes for hangovers. Impressive fridge raiding, by the way.

A Girl Has To Eat said...

Interesting idea as a hangover cure!

Gill the Painter said...

That beats tabasco, tomato juice and raw eggs!

What a tasty looking dish Lizzie.

Browners said...

I had this almost every morning in India. Some were mild and some were furiously hot. But all were brilliant. Nice.

Hollow Legs said...

Thanks everyone. I think even if I wasn't feeling delicate I wouldn't use that much as I think it'd be over-whelming.

A girl has to eat - Yes, eggs are said to be good to settle the stomach. This is probably the easiest form I could stomach on a hangover!

Petra Barran said...

Oh my God - I saw this as I was feeling very peckish and have just made one. I wanted a bit of tomato in there though so I cooked one in with the spices and I've now just devoured it. Dee-licious. It may become a favourite for me too.

lulu said...

My best advice for hangovers: Engov from Brazil. Brazilians use it for partying through Carnaval and other big parties. Engov cures the worsts hangovers and prevents them if you take one Engov with the first drink, one with the last. I recommend it!

shayma said...

Lizzie this looks SO good.