Saturday 19 September 2009

Onion, Anchovy & Spinach Quiche

One of my most favourite pasta dishes is onion and anchovy spaghetti. It's so beautifully simple; onions, sweated down until almost a mush for 45 minutes, and then milk-soaked tinned anchovy fillets added until broken down and emulsified with a little of the milk to make a sauce. A liberal handful of parsley and lots of black pepper complete the dish. It's extremely moreish and I eat it at least once every two weeks.

In a fit of experimentation, I thought that this would be quite fitting for a quiche filling, as anchovy goes well with eggs (as I've recently discovered with soft boiled eggs and anchovy soliders). My fridge was teeming with vibrant green, sturdy and leafy bundles of spinach I'd picked up from the market; none of this shrinking, watery stuff so this also went in. For my first attempt at quiche, I thought it was a really good effort. The filling wasn't overly eggy and was baked until just set so it stayed soft and creamy. The subtle anchovy flavour was complimented with the iron-rich spinach and the sweet onions.

Onion, Anchovy & Spinach Quiche


Serves 6

For the filling:

3 large white onions, sliced finely
6 anchovy fillets
A large handful of choppedflat leaf parsley
2 generous handfuls of spinach
2 eggs
285ml double cream
Plenty of black pepper
Parmesan (optional)

For the pastry:

280gr plain flour
140gr very cold butter, cut into cubes


Heat some oil in a non stick frying pan and add the onions. Fry on a low eat, stirring occasionally until they become very soft. This will take about half an hour - 45 minutes. Chop the anchovies up and add to the onions, frying them until they dissolve a little. Then add the spinach andfry until wilted. There shouldn't be too much moisture in the pan. Set to one side.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius. To make the pastry,
tip the flour and butter into a bowl, then rub together with your fingertips until completely mixed and crumbly. Add 8 tbsp cold water, then bring everything together with your hands until just combined. Roll into a ball, dust a work surface and a rolling pin with flour and roll out to about 5cm bigger than your quiche case (mine was 25cm). Pick it up by rolling it over the rolling pin and lay into your case. Using a ball of scrap pastry, gently push the pastry into the grooves of the tin. Prick the base with a fork, then lay a greaseproof sheet of paper over it and fill with baking beans. Blind bake for at least 25 - 30 minutes.

Next, whisk the eggs and cream together and then add to the onion mixture and the parsley. Add a touch of salt and lots of black pepper and mix together thoroughly. Add this to the quiche case, top with some grated Parmesan, and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden and set. Leave to cool in the case, trim the edges of the pastry and eat warm or cold - I preferred it warm.

20 comments:

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

First effort? Ye gads! Quiche maestros had better watch their backs...

Sounds great, Lizzie - and looks totally yum, too.

gastrogeek said...

I am seriously going to have to make this! I have a terrible anchovy habit you see...what an excellent idea. I like the sound of that pasta dish and all.

Helen said...

Oh how I love those salty suckers! Everyone seems to have an anchovy habit these days - I always thought I was alone with my anchovy soldiers. I love the idea of onion and anchovy in a quiche. Will deffo give it a go, I haven't made a quiche for ages.

Unknown said...

Looks great Lizzie I must admit to being lazy when it comes to making quiches (all that pastry just adds a bit of extra effort) and turning them into frittatas!

pigpigscorner said...

Great idea adding anchovies! I love anchovies in spaghetti too, makes it so tasty!

Dan said...

First quiche attempt? It turned out beautifully.
In my mind I always associate making a quiche as a lot of effort, when in practice it's actually pretty straightforward. I need to make more quiche's.

bexmeganblog said...

yum!! i definitely know what I'm having for dinner tonight!!

Boo said...

Looks great Lizzie, I also adore anchovies, less keen on quiche in general since an incident as a child with a dodgy one, I was ill for days.

I'm slowly coming round to them though, this certainly looks like it would be a good place to start.

Anonymous said...

I have that pasta recipe saved somewhere, I wonder if I got it from you. Had completely forgotten about it though.

Your quiche looks great.

Anonymous said...

Nice combination! Homemade pastry is one of my favourite things. Well wort the effort.

Anonymous said...

Nice combination! Homemade pastry is one of my favourite things. Well wort the effort.

Anonymous said...

Seriously folks!! It's the most interesting article I actually ever discovered! Very helpful. Continue.

Anonymous said...

Among the best posts I've ever previously read in this issue. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This is what I was searching for! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Anonymous said...

As a brand-new blogger I noticed this information extremely handy, thank you for sharing with us

Anonymous said...

Nice piece of copy I have to admit. Well developed and very helpful, thank you!

Anonymous said...

This can be some really good information. I discovered several things which I have been previously trying to find.

Anonymous said...

Several decent ideas. Very well thought out

Anonymous said...

For sure, great post. Thank you for sharing this kind of things. I truly value it

Anonymous said...

I seriously liked this blog post. You have reviewed several crucial factors on this site