Sunday 7 March 2010

The Burger

I'm a huge fan of Hawksmoor and I've posted about them twice before, so I'll keep this brief. On Valentine's Day, Hawksmoor offered up their burger at a weekend lunch - usually only available during the week. As it's nigh on impossible unless I bunk off work, I swallowed the fear of dining in a room full of snogging couples and got myself down there. Big, SO very beefy with a slightly sweetened bun, it's juices dribbled everywhere and I had to go and wash my hands afterwards.


The char-grilled squid starter, sides of chips, macaroni cheese and salad ensured we were properly stuffed. My companion threw in the towel as soon as he finished his burger, but I discovered that eating each macaroni tube one by one seemed to trick my brain into thinking I wasn't actually eating anymore. I could do nothing but pat my belly and groan for a good 2 hours afterwards.


157 Commercial Street
London
E1 6BJ

Tel: 0207 247 7392

12 comments:

Greedy Diva said...

Love it, Lizzie! Short and sweet, but says it all. I LOVE the Hawksmoor burger.

Basil said...

I love Hawksmoor and this post has just reminded me how good it is! I'm living in Spain at the moment so haven't been for ages...

The only time I've ever had better steak was here: http://thosethateat.blogspot.com/2010/01/asador-etxebarri-part-one-la-comida.html

Helen said...

See now I want beef and you know how muck beef I ate last week...

Mr Noodles said...

Still not been here but that bun looks like a proper bun and those chips look like proper chips and the burger, well it looks like a proper burger.

S said...

utter heaven. love the hawksmoor. carbs and meat, what more does one want?

Kavey said...

I don't know why but the image of you patting your belly, groaning (but no doubt smiling at the joy of the meal) makes me smile too!

Louis Anthony Woodbine said...

Just salivatingly lovely and felt full reading it... must go some time...!

The Grubworm said...

I've had their steaks (hanger, sirloin, goose and ribeye), but never the burger - something that, judging by your picture, must be rectified. It looks like a mighty fine hunk of afternoon-killing meat...

And i like your plan to trick the brain, i'll have to try that out sometime.

ginandcrumpets said...

BURGER! That looks amazing. I'm going to have to get down there one lunchtime - not sure how, but it must be done.

Unknown said...

Sounds like the perfect valentines day lizzie

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Like the way you think!!

Gav said...

That settles it. I'm taking a day off, I need to eat this.

Now you have made me hungry ... again