Thursday 3 February 2011

Bloom Gin


I was pretty excited to receive a bottle of Bloom gin from their PR people. I love gin. I especially love free gin.

But I was to be disappointed, for this is gin for people who don't really like gin. Described as an 'innovative premium London Dry gin', the bottle tells me it captures the essence of Spring, with floral notes of pomelo, honeysuckle and chamomile.

Dare I say it? It was... girly. More specifically, like a big girl's blouse. It had no discernable juniper flavour that I love so dearly, that sets gin aside from other spirits. In a gin and tonic, all you could taste was floral sweetness. I had some friends round, all gin fiends and they declared it weak in flavour. A pretty bottle but no oomph behind its contents.

No thanks.

12 comments:

J Roberts said...

It's only 40% so not surprising there's not much oomph.

Graphic Foodie said...

Love your honesty :)

Alex said...

Blinding. Frank and concise review.

TVM

A

An American in London said...

No juniper flavor? As a fellow gin lover, I have to ask: what's the point, then?

Blonde said...

Boo. Will be sticking to my Hendricks and Tanquerays then.

tori said...

How disappointing. A big girl's blouse of a gin is really just a scrunchy and a pair of patterned leggings away from a Malibu piney... Was it any good in martinis?

Mr London Street said...

I'll have it. Do you need my postal address?

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Girly gin? I mean, really - what is the effing point?

VictoriaJane said...

I tried some of this when I was at the Taste of Christmas- being a gin fan myself I agree with everything you said. I recommend Old Tom- much more of a punch and you can really taste the juniper

keith Barker-Main said...

Big in Orlando? Bloomin' useless?

Anonymous said...

How refreshing to have a genuine product appraisal! I live in the Philipinnes and over here there isn't one honest blog. Every restaurant dish is "to die for". In truth, the best thing in the restaurants are the photos of the dishes on the menu. Good on you!

James Ledingham said...

Couldn't disagree with you more. I triad this at The Living Room, Milton Keynes at it was absolutely delicious. A wonderfully different gin and not surprisingly different - It was created by a female distiller so I was passionately told by bartender who was quite obviously a fellow fan! Do not be put off trying!