Wednesday 5 January 2011

#MEATEASY

If you haven't already heard about The Meatwagon, I'm going to assume you're not much of a burger enthusiast or you don't live in London, because they are the best burgers around. Yianni parks up his van in various locations, mainly in South East London. Tales of legendary queues have been told, moans from the weak have been whinged about waiting an hour for a burger, but the wait never bothers me because once I get my chops around that burger, I know it's worth it.

Disaster struck when on the 6th December the Wagon was stolen. But all is not lost, as from Wednesday 12th January, for a few precious weeks Yianni and his team will be satisfying the burgerists of London upstairs at The Goldsmiths Tavern in New Cross - my hood - in what has been labelled the #MEATEASY. Not only will it keep our meaty needs at bay, but hopefully enough money will be raised for a brand new wagon.

The Goldsmiths Tavern has been bought by Capital Pubs, and it will soon be renamed The New Cross House. With the pub downstairs with the #MEATEASY upstairs, it's not a pop-up; more chop-up. Think dive bar - it's open till 2am on Thursdays and Fridays, 5am on Saturdays. There will be parties, boozing, burgers and other meaty delights, and all five minutes walk from my flat.

What about New Cross? 5 minutes overland to New Cross Gate from London Bridge, or the East London Line Overland serve both New Cross Gate and New Cross - the #MEATEASY is equidistant.

#MEATEASY opens in the evening of Wednesday 12th January. Don't bother trying to book a table; it's not that kind of place. They'll be serving in the evenings and lunch is a possibility if the interest is there.

I, for one, am really excited.

The Goldsmiths Tavern

316 New Cross Road
London SE14 6AF

Thanks to A Rather Unusual Chinaman for letting me use a couple of his Meatwagon photos.

18 comments:

Chris Pople said...

I think I may not see February. Tell my family I love them.

I heart cupcakes said...

SO excited about this, my old local (till they cleaned it up) and I finally get to try the Meat Wagon burger! And only a ten minute walk from my house..yay!
Am looking forward to it being taken over by Capital Pubs as well - the days where I like my pubs incredibly grungy, serving snakebite are over. Give me a comfy seat, good food and good booze and I'm happy

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic news! I'll do my part to contribute to their fundraising!

Unknown said...

Hopefully the new meat wagon will travel further afield than south london - although I am sure you south londoners will be happy to have it parked there permanently!

Unknown said...

How do I not know about this guy!? Damn, New X here I come

Helen said...

And so we three kiss goodbye to any January good intentions, Pople to his family, me to my diet, you to your flat. It's just us and the meat from here on in.

Charmaine said...

I swear the coolest things have all opened up in the last few years since I've left New Cross. Wahhh!

An American in London said...

What does one do with a stolen meatwagon, I wonder.

Great tip, and thanks for the directions to New Cross. It doesn't sound so far now. Hopefully I can catch a taste of the Meateasy wares.

Hanna @ Swedish Meatball said...

New Cross = far. Worth the trip? I do really feel like a burger, now when my three day new year's resolution of a less meaty year is over.

Unknown said...

You might as well give up your flat; why waste money on rent?

Hollow Legs said...

Chris - my sympathy card is already in the post.

i heart cupcakes - I am so excited!

Anon - Excellent.

GC - Well, it has been up in Highgate and also made a few appearances in Shoreditch...

Dippo - get on board.

Helen - tick tick and tick.

Charmaine - You should never have left...

AAIL - I know! it's not exactly an inconspicuous piece of equipment. New Cross, especially with the advent of the ELL isn't far at all.

Swedish Meatball - depends where you are as to how far, but it's definitely worth it. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think it worth your while.

Peter - that's a damn good point. I could spend my rent money on burgers. And liposuction.

tori said...

Oh my. Oh my. Oh my. That looks like such a serious burger. Bugger my new year's healthy resolutions. I'm there.

Paul said...

Awesome, will have to drag some hungry hungry friends to help out with the fundraising!

Northern Snippet said...

I read that it had been stolen,but I'm amazed that it hasn't turned up..How can something like that be concealed?Still things have worked in your favour given that they are cooking at your local.Burgers look fantastic!

Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours said...

Hurrah!

I hope they make loads and loads of money.

I had one on my birthday. Cheap date that I am.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these burgers!

special dining offers said...

I lived in New Cross and didn't once go to this place, or even hear of it!

Bit gutted now that I didn't

Melanie Seasons said...

Usually being on the opposite end of the city, I never got to experience the Meatwagon, but damn it's about time I tried #meateasy. Perhaps this weekend....