Sunday 14 August 2011

Smoked Pork with Black Beans & Roasted Salsa

When I first saw the hickory smoked wings over on Food Stories I knew I had to get in on that action. Straight onto Ebay and a box of hickory chips, suitable for stovetop rather than barbecues, went straight into my virtual basket and I sped through checkout. My reasoning was that I couldn't be arsed with lighting a barbecue each time I wanted a smoke so this option seemed easiest.

Except it's not really. As I type this, my hair, clothes, carpets and furniture all honk like a bonfire. My housemate will wonder if I took part in some ritualistic effigy-burning when she gets home. Not that I do that a lot, mind.

The results, though, are pretty special. In choosing my cut of pork, I went for a shoulder cut. My initial thoughts were to do belly to then make pulled pork but rather the shredded softness that brings, I rather fancied something with more bite, something to get your teeth working. The pork was marinaded over night in a chilli paste, then slowly roasted and finished off with a smoking. Each slice had a hint of chilli, smokiness flavouring the fat; I forgot momentarily about my just-washed, now stinky hair.

To accompany the pork, rather addictive black beans and a roasted tomato salsa, adapted from Thomasina Miers' 'Mexican Food Made Simple'. I'm not finding it easy to find very ripe tomatoes, so blistering them deepens their flavour.

Roasted Tomato Salsa

7 tomatoes, as ripe as you can find them
3 large red chillis
3 cloves of garlic, skin on
2 spring onions
Juice of half a lime
A pinch of sugar
A large pinch of salt and pepper
Small handful of coriander

In a dry non-stick pan, add the tomatoes first. Dry-roast for a few minutes, then add the chillis in. You're aiming for blackened skins so keep turning them. Add the spring onions and garlic. It'll take about 15 minutes for this. Leave to cool. Once cooled, peel the garlic and pound in a pestle and mortar with salt. Take the tomatoes and squeeze them gently over the sink so that the seeds all fall out, as you don't want it too watery. If you have a thing about skin then remove it; I rather like it so I leave it in. Chop roughly and pound in the pestle and mortar. Repeat with chillis. Slice the spring onions finely. Combine in a bowl with the lime juice, the sugar and stir the coriander in.

Smoked Pork

Serves 2

500gr shoulder of pork
A mixture of dried chillis; I used mulato, habenero and cascabel (bought here)
1 onion
4 cloves of garlic
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
200mls orange juice
A handful of hickory or oak wood chips

Soak the chillis in boiling water until softened. Remove the seeds and blitz with the onion, sugar, garlic and salt. Rub on the flesh of the pork and marinade overnight. Bring up to room temperature and place in a baking tray with the orange juice. Cover loosely with foil and roast on 140 degrees C for 2 hours and remove. Simmer down the juices and add to the black beans while they're cooking (recipe here). Serve with a toasted tortilla, or some rice.

I wouldn't recommend you smoking in your kitchen, but if you have better ventilation or you don't mind stinking of smoke, then line your pot with foil, add a handful of wood chips and drizzle with a bit of water. Put your pork in a heatproof bowl and place it within (I used a metal steamer) and heat gently for 30 - 35 minutes. Everything will be covered in an orange-ish goo so wash it immediately, and it's likely your pot will be slightly discoloured. Or, you know, use your barbecue. OUTSIDE.

6 comments:

gobble monkey said...

looks delicious!!

Helen said...

Ha ha ha ha! Oh noes...first it's mothballs and now this. Actually I think they would make a nice smell together. The pork looks delicious so that's a saving grace. I often make that salsa myself.

PDH said...

Smoking out the house and getting an unwanted visit from the fire brigade is the only thing stopping me from trying out home smoking at the moment! Love the sound of this though, the pork sounds gorgeous.

Richard Elliot said...

Looks awesome. I've got some chipotle chillies in the cupboard, so I might give this a go!

Corina said...

I love my copy of Mexican Food Made Simple but I've never made this salsa - I'm going to have to get it out again!

Gary said...

I tried to make pulled pork the other week, following a recipe that told me to use pork shoulder. It wasn't that good at all. It was tough and couldn't be "pulled" at all.

Very tempted to follow your lead with this recipe next time.