Sunday 16 November 2008

Vietnamese Spicy Pork & Aubergine

Aubergines are my favourite vegetable, although Wikipedia tells me they're actually classed as a berry. I claimed I didn't like them when I was a child, as in Hong Kong (where I grew up) they were often called eggplants and I wasn't overly fond of eggs. It made sense to me at the time, but clearly I missed out and have been making up for it ever since.

Texturally they are really pleasing; I find twice cooking them is the best way to get them meltingly tender rather than spongy and squeaky. It's also unnecessary to salt them to get rid of their bitterness, as modern technology means it's been bred out of them. I have found that salting them means that they soak up less oil, if you're trying to be health conscious.

Pork and aubergine is a great combination. Already, Fish Fragrant Aubergines is one of my favourite dishes and so I'm always keen to try this combination with different flavourings. Originally this recipe instructed to prick the aubergine and roast it for 45 minutes until collapsed, then to peel it and scrape the flesh out to spread the mince over. Either way is as good, but this is a little quicker.

Vietnamese Spicy Pork & Aubergine

Serves 2

1 large aubergine, chopped into large chunks
250gr minced pork
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 red birds eye chillis, deseeded and chopped
2 stalks of spring onion, sliced finely
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 lime
Small bunch of coriander and mint, finely chopped.

In a non stick pan, fry the aubergine chunks in oil until it's browned on both sides. Remove and set to one side. Heat some oil up in a wok or a non-stick pan and fry the garlic and chilli until fragrant. Add the pork mince and fry until browned, then add the aubergine chunks back in. Stir fry on a high heat and add the spring onions. Add the fish sauce and the sugar. When the aubergines are completely cooked, take off the heat and add the herbs and the lime juice. Serve with rice.

This a great recipe; the fish sauce imparts a really great savoury depth to it, whilst the mint and the lime juice really makes it taste very fresh. The chilli isn't too overpowering; I often add more when just cooking for myself as I like it rather fiery.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm...sounds like a good recipe for a weekday dinner. Definitely going to try this one!

Anonymous said...

ooh there's nothing worse than a squeaky aubergine! I know that yours will be lovely and silky though :) I had absolutely no idea they were classed as a berry - very interesting! I like the chilli as well, I've really been craving it recently.

Browners said...

Hi Lizzie, if you're interested I've put you forward for a Kreativ Blogger Award...

http://tinyurl.com/5o2pwj

Anonymous said...

Hi Lizzie,
I tried this recipe on the weekend and it is soooo tasty and quick to make. Yum. It was really good to meet you last week!
Abi

Anonymous said...

delicious! thanks for this - was a great supper for a cold Toronto night.

Unknown said...

I have been searching for a recipe close to what I experienced in Vietnam and you supplied it. Thanks for that was divine!

Anne said...

I made a variation of this with what was in the cupboards and it was so addictive! The twice cooking really made the difference so thankyou :)

Anonymous said...

Love this

Anonymous said...

This has become a staple dinner for us. Thank you!