Thursday 19 January 2012

Why Eat Burger When You Could Have Lobster?

You may have heard a lot about Burger & Lobster by now, and in particular their unusual menu. With just three choices of burger, a whole grilled or steamed lobster, or a lobster roll all served with chips and fries, you may also raise an eyebrow at the £20 price tag for each.

£20 for a burger? Yes, it's expensive but £20 for a lobster is cheap and I rather like this one price for all approach. Why anyone would order a burger when lobster is on offer anyway is beyond me, but when I visited plenty were. It was a rainy night and I had endured the trauma of both Selfridges and Hamleys one day before Christmas Eve. It was madness. If Selfridges, full of people dashing around buying last minute presents, jangled my nerves then Hamleys completely annihilated them. Burger & Lobster tucked away behind Green Park tube station was a haven of calm and comfort.

Sat at a high table on a leather banquet, the restaurant is all dark wood. A long bar glimmered with bottles of booze, while cocktails were expertly made. Something short and strong restored my spirits.

Steamed lobster was served on a metal tray, halved. A jug of herbed and lemon butter dip was for decadent dunking and chips were thin, crisp and salty; just how I love 'em. I don't know what more to say other than that I spent a very happy half hour picking my way around the huge lobster, extracting the sweet meat, trying not to spray my date with lobster viscera.

Just when I was almost reaching capacity our chatty waitress came over with a lobster roll on the house, a kind gesture from the management (who are also the steaky Goodman). A buttery brioche roll is toasted and stuffed to the brim with sweet lobster meat that's been dressed lightly in mayonnaise so that it's barely perceptible. Even after the mammoth lobster each we'd just eaten, it was certainly no chore, though I couldn't even think about eating anything else until at least lunchtime the next day.

It's a pretty niche restaurant, and if you don't like burgers or lobsters (what? WHAT?) then it won't be for you, but I loved it. Affordable lobster, well made cocktails and no menu anxiety is a winner in my book.

Burger & Lobster

29 Clarges Street
London W1J 7EF

No reservations, closed Sunday & Monday

Burger & Lobster on Urbanspoon

10 comments:

PDH said...

The question is do you get cheese on the Burger? That's got to bump up the value a bit...

Chris Pople said...

£20 for the burger is quite pricey I guess but it is a VERY good burger and comes with chips and salad. If you went to Hawksmoor and ordered their burger, specified salad as a side and ordered chips as well, it would come to £19.

On the other hand £20 for a lobster (also with chips and salad) is ludicrously cheap, so the argument falls apart if you consider relative costs. I just can't see myself ever ordering anything other than that massive, juicy lobster.

PDH said...

I've lived in London far too long as I can easily justify £20 for a burger in my head with the extras but I guess that's what they are hoping to offset the higher Lobster costs!

Shu Han said...

why eat burger when you can get lobster. HAHA INDEED. it's all about relativity I guess. I would go for lobster any day!!

gastrogeek said...

Sounds like insanely good value for the lobster - and well done on even attempting Hamleys, you're a brave, brave woman

Boo said...

Mmmm, think I'll try the lobster roll when I go. Though it all looks great. Love the idea of this place, hooray for no menu anxiety - great concept.

Anonymous said...

Interesting post, this was really useful. thanks!

Yummei said...

That lobster looks divine - I have to try this place out now - although £20 for a burger?! That is abit steep.

thanks liz!

J@Feasttotheworld said...

Been reading a lot about this place being mentioned on blogs and reviews recently and judging from your photo of the succulent-looking lobster (Yum!) , I will definitely need to pay this restaurant a visit...pronto!

Unknown said...

When i first discovered this place i went almost on a weekly basis lol i couldn't believe the price for the lobster!!