Tuesday 25 October 2011

Blueberry Pancakes with Bacon & Maple Syrup

If you'd said to me 5 years ago that I'd be tucking into blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and bacon, I'd have gone "bleeeuuuughhh!", but nowadays I'm really getting into my sweet & savoury. I think it was candied bacon that changed me. In a fit of madness we used it as a spoon for this curry once. Edible spoons! Genius.

When I was in New York I didn't make it to a single breakfast, a shame (though not really - bed is important) because the Americans are known for great big massive breakfasts. These pancakes are popular with them. They differ in the sort that us Brits are more used to as they have a rising agent in them, whereas the ones we're more used to are flat as a... er, pancake.

These were light and fluffy, bursts of tartness and sweetness coming through from the oozing blueberries. They soaked up the maple syrup well, and the contrast with the smoky, salty bacon was a delight. For 5 girls with fuzzy heads, this sorted us out a treat.

Blueberry Pancakes with Bacon & Maple Syrup

Serves 5

400gr self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 tsp sugar
A pinch of salt
600mls milk
150gr blueberries
10 rashers of smoked back bacon
Maple syrup to serve

Preheat your oven to around 70 degrees, to keep the waiting pancakes warm. The pancakes take patience but I found it quite therapeutic. Mix all the dry ingredients together, then make a well and add the eggs and mix well. Add the milk bit by bit, whisking as you go to make the batter. Mine was a bit lumpy and it didn't seem to matter. Leave the blueberries out at this stage - I add them after the batter has gone into the pan, as adding them and then mixing can make them pop, resulting in blueish grey pancakes.

Add a scant ladleful of batter to a well oiled pan on medium and then scatter a few blueberries onto the raw batter on top. Cook until the bubbles on the surface pop and then flip carefully, cooking the other side for another couple of minutes. Keep warm in the oven.

While you're making the pancakes, cook the bacon till well browned and also keep warm in the oven on kitchen paper-lined plates.

Serve with maple syrup.

13 comments:

PDH said...

I love pancakes and bacon. I remember IHOP breakfasts where they'd mysteriously break into a second course as they were so good when I was over in Atlanta. I try to use Oscar Meyers streaky bacon when I make them, very thinly sliced so you can that authentic crispy edge to the rashers. Lovely looking post me dear.

Gin and Crumpets said...

There basically isn't a better breakfast. Not even Frosties.

During my one visit to New York, we'd have huge breakfasts of ham/bacon, eggs and pancakes and then not have to eat again until 4. Very efficient way to do things when you ahve a billion things to see.

German said...

Very nice!

Nora said...

Edible spoons! Made of bacon! Great idea. And I love this pancake/syrup/bacon combo - the whole sweet and savoury thing is wonderful. Somehow the contrast makes the salty saltier and the sweet sweeter - but in the best possible way!

Shu Han said...

I LOVE sweet and savoury together. that sounds gorgeous.

Food Urchin said...

Aldi are selling maple syrup cheap as chips at the moment so I was definitely have a go at at this.

Gary said...

I need to give this ago, sounds and looks delicious

Helen said...

I still can't believe we did that with the bacon...

pancakes look lush

Katy Salter @ Pinch of Salt said...

Bacon and maple syrup is an evil genius combination. I was having this arguement with a friend the other week - they refused to countenance the possibility that bacon and maple syrup go together, so they've never even tried it. Fool.

The Grubworm said...

Maple syrup and crispy streaky bacon? Food of the gods. I was introduced to the glory of American style pancakes with the heavenly combo at a very young age, thanks to American family. I never looked back.

I think this is one of those things that works slightly better with US flour as well, although I am not sure why. So if you can get your hands on some it's worth trying.

And yes, as a hangover cure, they work very well indeed.

Brockley pancake said...

love love love bacon & syrup! top-tip (from my mum's kitchen) use two frying pans at a time (although I've seen her use 3, crazy woman), line a shallow bowl with a clean tea towel, put/pile the pancakes in here as they're done and wrap up in the towel to keep them warm until being demolished.
p.s. love your blog!

Anonymous said...

oh yea i most definitly admire BACON!

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

Being an American, you have that right we love our big breakfasts. I love blueberry pancakes, they are one of my favorites. I just made a pumpkin pancake last week that was out of this world.