Wednesday 19 October 2011

Pea & Courgette Soup

I'll admit it's not the most innovative or the most interesting of recipes, but it is one of the tastiest soups I've made and I think I achieved this through laziness. That's quite a feat and one that should be celebrated.

I've started a training course for work that means that I don't get home until 9:30pm every Tuesday night, and coupled with inviting friends round for dinner the following night, I thought I best make some preparation towards it lest I keep my guests hanging around for ages waiting for their soupy starter. No one likes waiting for food. So I half heartedly chopped a few courgettes, lobbed in a few bits and bobs and then blitzed it roughly before flopping in front of some guilty pleasure TV.

This resulted in a fresh and vibrant soup - the peas going in raw and barely cooking them makes it so - and from the happy murmurings from my guests, I almost abandoned the main course and served a second helping instead.

Pea & Courgette Soup

Serves 6 as a starter or 3 as a main with bread

3 large courgettes
1 fat or 2 smaller cloves of garlic
500gr petit pois, frozen - this seems a lot but it's a thick, chunky soup
A sprinkle of paprika per bowl
5 big mint leaves
3 basil leaves
100gr manchego, chopped into small chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube (or home-made stock if you have any)
1.5l water

In a large pan heat the oil and add the garlic, stewing slowly while you chop the courgettes into even chunks. Add the courgettes, then the stock cube and water. Simmer for a few minutes until the vegetables are still al dente (this depends really on how large you chopped the courgettes). Take off the heat and add the peas. Leave for 10 minutes. Go for a wee, have a sit down, make a cup of tea, that sort of thing.

Chop the mint and throw in. Blitz roughly (unless you like smooth soups, oddball). When serving, heat gently till just simmering. Taste for salt and pepper. Add evenly the chunks of manchego into each bowl, then add the soup. Serve topped with basil finely minced and a sprinkle of paprika.

5 comments:

Katy Salter @ Pinch of Salt said...

what you talking about Willis? Sounds all kinds of interesting to me with the addition of the Manchego and the paprika and the little lift from the mint. Mmmm, Spanishy.

ChrisBarker@restaurantguideswriter.com said...

This looks like great comfort food for the cold winter months :p. Tasty...

Mariya said...

Mint and peas are always a heavenly combination. With the addition of cheese...

Hollow Legs said...

Katy - Well I'm glad it interested you! I just thought pea...mint.. groan.

Chris - I love soup in Winter, especially the chunk sort

Mariya - I wouldn't have thought to put mint with peas immediately, but this works well.

Mariya said...

There's a particularly lovely 'warm salad' of roughly Greek origin where mint, potatoes and peas and (good quality) olive oil are the key ingredients. And a lovely pasta done simply with mint and peas. The mint really adds an incredible freshness to what are otherwise, I think, quite heavy dishes.