Friday 6 June 2008

Flourless Chocolate Cake

At last, a dessert item! It's been a while since I made anything sweet, but the sad fact is that living with just one other person means that when I bake cakes and the like, they rarely get finished.

However, a friend at work asked me to make her a flourless chocolate cake, after I proclaimed that you don't need to go without cake just because you can't eat flour (she's on a strange diet). So after borrowing a cake tin, I set to work.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

6 eggs, seperated into 2 bowls
60gr caster sugar
130gr unsalted butter
300gr plain chocolate (preferably 70%)
Extra butter to grease the tin
23" springform cake tin

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees / gas mark 4. In a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the butter and the chocolate. Whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks, and then whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and creamy. Add the chocolate and butter mixture to the egg yolks, mix thoroughly and then fold in the egg white. Pour into your tin and then bake in the middle of the oven for 20 - 25 mins. Leave to cool, and turn out.

This cake was ridiculously easy to make and really delicious. You could get it done in 40 mins total if you had an electric whisk. You can also do something fancy, like dust it with icing sugar, or edible glitter - perhaps even Maltesers if you like? I found it tasted even better after it had been cooled and refridgerated for a bit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is something about flour less chocolate cake that really attracts me. Even though I have never eaten one, I don't really like sweet and things and am not a massive chocoholic. Something about it just makes me drool!

Kavey said...

When when when can I come to yours for dinner? ;)

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I like 'ridiculously easy'. I also like 'chocolate'. A bit of a no-brainer for me, then, this one!

Anonymous said...

Does look good. Your baking skill is getting better and better. There is a very similar recipe on my blog's sidebar 'simply recipes' widget which has added chipotle, sounds interesting I am going to try that sometime.