Sunday 17 May 2009

Lime & Ginger Trout

Now that the weather is getting a bit warmer (there - I said it. Here comes the rain), thoughts turn to lighter and fresher meals. I no longer return home craving mashed potato, unctuous stews and root vegetables; instead, stir-fries, noodle soups and steamed fish return to grace my dinner plate.

This recipe is one I have been making for quite some time. It works equally well with salmon or trout, and it goes from fridge to plate in an hour. Perfect for those weekday dinners, and healthy to boot. The fish always comes out moist, tender and well flavoured, with the rice providing an adequately bland vehicle for shovelling in your face.

Lime & Ginger Trout

Serves 1

1 trout or salmon fillet

3 sprigs of mint, leaves picked off

A small handful of coriander

1 lime

1 red birds eye chilli

2 tbsp fish sauce

1 clove garlic

2" ginger

Mince the ginger and the garlic together. Add to a bowl, with the fish sauce and the juice of half the lime. Add the chopped chilli. Roughly chop the mint and coriander (reserving some coriander to garnish) and then cover the fish with this marinade. Leave this to marinate for half an hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

After half an hour, wrap the fish in foil and make into a loose bag. Make sure you add any of the marinade left in the bowl. Seal tightly, but ensure there's space in the foil bag for the heat to circulate. Pop in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes. I usually give it a prod after 10 minutes. If the fish flakes easily it's done.

Garnish with a half lime wedge and a scattering of coriander. Serve with steamed white rice. I also stir-fried some carrots and courgette with garlic, ginger and chilli, garnished with spring onion as a side.

11 comments:

Gastro1 said...

Looks fantastic might try it with Sea Trout as it is in season now ( sometimes called Salmon Trout)

Fat Les said...

I was going to ask if the chopsticks were borrowed from Wongkee's but...too late, pressed the send button!

Ollie said...

Looks lovely. I particularly liked the way you finished a very dainty and elegant paragraph by saying the rice is good for 'shovelling in your face'.

Kerri said...

That looks lovely, a decent sized portion too! I never remember to make interesting sides to go with stuff like this, it makes the dish though I think.

Helen said...

I make something really, really similar to this dish although I always used to make it with salmon. Then I realised that salmon actually really bores me so perhaps I shall try it with trout!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Ah, ginger and lime. What a lovely combo, especially with some fresh trout. A great zingy summer dish. Assuming we get a summer, that is. ;-)

pigpigscorner said...

Yea it's getting warmer nowadays, this is perfect!

Nightwol said...

This has come along atjust the right time! Just starting to say that we need to be getting into some lighter meals for a while. Must try this!

Food.By Mark. said...

Les... I have those exact same chopsticks...

Debs @ DKC said...

Tried it last night with Salmon, it was absolutely delicious. OH says it reminded him of a similar dish I do for him with muscles, but I've never tasted it as I don't do muscles!!

Alex said...

Looks great!
But I'm always disappointed that when baking fish in foil the flavourings (chilli, coriander, lime etc...) always come out a dull green rather than the zingy bright shade they went in as...