Monday 11 May 2009

Sushi Hiro

This weekend was the Real Food Festival at Earl's Court. Since we were schlepping it out west, we figured we could ride the Picadilly line a little further and finally visit Sushi Hiro, which I've heard so much about.

Situated in Ealing Common, it is a bit of a trek. I hardly go out west at all, so I was happy to note that it is opposite the tube station, giving you no chance to get lost (much). I'd heard the decor isn't much to look at, but seeing as my favourite sushi place, Ten Ten Tei in Brewer Street isn't either, this could only be a good thing.

From the outside, Sushi Hiro looks a bit lifeless. Frosted white glass makes it look closed. When we walked in, we were immediately greeted with the smell of very fresh fish - a bit like the seaside, and not at all fishy. Tables line the walls, simply decorated with chopsticks, a napkin and soy with saucers, as well as some stools at a sushi bar.

The menu is a tick box affair, with a plastic laminate guide with pictures. It's a really short menu with no hot dishes except miso soup - sushi and sashimi was the order of the day. I tend to suffer from great indecision, so it was good to see the deluxe set had a nice long list of fish it included; belly tuna, surf cram (sic!), salmon, sweet shrimp, scallop, mackerel, roe, eel, and... er... I forget the rest. We also ordered some pickled gourd and pickled radish maki to accompany, with a beer to wash it all down with.

When the sushi arrived, I was relieved to see it didn't resemble the rather depressing platter offered at Tomoe, which was also called the Deluxe Nigiri Set and at the same price. Visually, it was stunning. The fish was of excellent quality and the rice was freshly cooked and still a little warm. The fish to rice ratio was perfect, and a great selection of fish - not just the standard salmon and tuna. Easily the best sushi I've had in London. The pickled vegetable maki was also good, although we did comment that it could have been a little more pickled. We are pickle fiends though and knowing Japanese pickles are usually a lot sweeter, I think it's pretty inconsequential.

I definitely want to go back and go for a big blow-out as I was watching the budget this day. It was great value; the excellent platter, the maki and a beer each for came to £65 for the three of us, with some complimentary edamame and green tea thrown in. The rather long journey was worth it. Watch out for the funny opening hours though.

Sushi Hiro

1 Station Parade,

Uxbridge Road,

Ealing, W5 3LD

Tel: 020 8896 3175

Lunch served 11am-1.30pm, dinner served 4.30-9pm Tue-Sun

12 comments:

Ollie said...

This place is, of course, legendary and I've been meaning to go for ages. It sounds great value - your post has persuaded me to go asap. I'm surprised you didn't stop by the Harwood Arms for a Scotch egg when you were at the RFF!

Helen said...

It was some damn fine sushi that's for sure! I am craving it now at 10am. I still maintain that those pickles were disappointing though!

Unknown said...

That sushi looks brilliant - super fresh

Su-Lin said...

I love this place - another good one nearby is Kiraku (but I haven't been back for ages as it was out of my budget for a while...gotta return). You know there's a large Japanese enclave in Ealing Commong? There's a Japanese school nearby.

pigpigscorner said...

I've read many good reviews about this place too! I should definitely put this down on my list!

An American in London said...

I agree with Ollie - I've been meaning to go (and have been put off by the travel, as you said), but your post has motivated me again to get over there.

A Girl Has to Eat said...

I like this place. I think the sushi here is really fresh.

Robert said...

Thanks for that review as the Sushi looked so fresh and pretty! I had to stop licking my iPhone!

Helen Yuet Ling Pang said...

Yum! I'm finally going to trek out west next month to eat with a friend who eats here regularly (lucky her!). Another friend who's Japanese regards the sushi at Sushi Hiro as the best in London...

Kang said...

Welcome to the Wild Wild West :)

Watch out for the opening hours indeed, I always forget this place is shut on a Monday, which is the day I usually crave it.

Ten Ten Tei you say hmm....

Lia "RSA courses" Scott said...

i sooo love sushi...

Michelle Training said...

Not just food, but art as well. Thanks.